Today, you generally have three choices for a time-based system scheduler: “Cron”, “anacron”, and “systemd”. There is a lot of information out on the web about these, so here I shall just summarize the basics from a practical standpoint to answer the question “which scheduler/timing system should I use?” “Cron” is the traditional timer. It is available everywhere, and tried, tested, loved, and it just works most of the time for most people.
Sometimes I use a touchpad, and at other times an optical mouse, but my main workstation pointer device is a trackball, in particular, the Logitech M570. This model comes with two little index finger buttons, labeled “Forward Button” and “Back Button”, in the image below: which by default send you forward and backward through your web page visit chain in your browser. I find this mapping a phenomenal waste of two very useful buttons.
End of an Era The great experiment is over: After almost a decade of OSX, I have now returned to Linux: My foray into the world of OSX/macOS was good for most of its run, and, at its height, it was simply brilliant. When I first adopted OSX (after half a decade of running Linux), it was the ultimate developer experience. Not just the perfect balance between developer power/functionality and user bell-and-whistles, but actually as good as the best at both.
My SSH key-based authorization kept failing on a private GitHub repo on a remote machine, even though my SSH keys for that machine were properly registered on the GitHub account. The solution was to force the “git” protocol instead of “http”. That is, instead of: url = https://github.com/accountname/reponame.git use: url = firstname.lastname@example.org:accountname/reponame.git in your “.git/config: [core] repositoryformatversion = 0 filemode = true bare = false logallrefupdates = true [remote "origin"] url = git@github.
This one’s simple. Just disable the GUI and solve two problems at once. ./configure --without-tcltk \ --prefix=$HOME/Environment/local \ && make && make install
In contrast to the simple single-line nicely-behaved “git submodule add” command, removing a submodule requires you to: $ git submodule deinit -- path/to/submodule $ rm -rf .git/modules/path/to/submodule $ git rm -f path/to/submodule $ git commit -a -m "Remove submodule" Apart from the multiple steps with “rm -rf freely being tossed around willy-nilly, note the second command where you manually fiddle with the guts of the repository structure. That does not get propagated up to any remotes in a push or any repos that pull from you or a shared remote.
TL;DR: Just look at the Gist. Summary: Act I, in which I try and fail. Act II, in which I think I succeed but actually failed without knowing it till I tried to use it. Act III, in which I return to my beginning, ponder the universe, dive deep into the depths of the abyss, and come back with the magic bean that makes everything work.
For the sake of future me, I am recording this here, the coolest shell trick I’ve learned this year: (Linux): tar cf - /folder-with-big-files -P | pv -s $(du -sb /folder-with-big-files | awk '') | gzip > big-files.tar.gz (OSX): tar cf - /folder-with-big-files -P | pv -s $(($(du -sk /folder-with-big-files | awk '') * 1024)) | gzip > big-files.tar.gz with output looking like: 4.69GB 0:04:50 [16.3MB/s] [==========================> ] 78% ETA 0:01:21 Requires ‘pv’: https://github.
R doing what R does really, really, really, really, really, really, *R*eally well: visualization. Folks, this might be THE plot to use to visualize distributions of discrete/categorical variables or simultaneous distributions of multiple continuous variables, replacing or at least taking up a seat alongside the violin plots as the current best approach IMHO. Source code repository: ggjoy Example of use (EDIT: This plot style is named after the “Joy Division”, due to a similar graphic on one of their album covers.
Biblatex is a fantastic bibliography/citation manager for LaTeX. It trumps the older bibtex for its much easier customizability and configuration. It does however, have one bug that can be very perplexing to figure out due to the misleading error message that results: “Could not find all biber source files”. At first glance this message seemed straightforward enough to send me poking about the project file structure and build system, checking paths and names.